The original factory-owner’s villa, dating back to 1921, marks the third project fronting the entrance street. Over 450 sq. meters of space have been converted to use as a conference and customer center. The primary strategy in its restoration has been one of clearing out of extraneous additional elements to recover the original floor plan. Dark parquet flooring and a unified color concept underscore the distinguished character of the house.
A series of minimal flush lighting elements are set into the walls offering a startlingly abstract architectural element contrasting the historical details of the house. The side-entrance, which leads to the factory site, presents a consciously new aspect, set high into the house in steel and glass and consisting of stacked concrete planks.
Architects — Barkow Leibinger, Berlin, Frank Barkow, Regine Leibinger
Team Design and Construction — Hermann Plöckl (Project Architect), Ralph J. Habbel, Carsten Krafft, Heiko Krech, Andreas Lang, Christian Rudolf
Production Assembly Hall, Stockrooms, Offices
2003 - 2004
TRUMPF Sachsen GmbH & Co
Construction Management | Structural + Mechanical Engineer
Bauplanung Bautzen GmbH, Bautzen
Hörnicke Hock Thieroff, Berlin
Zibell Willner & Partner, Berlin
ILS Lehner und Sachse, Wilthen
Büro Kiefer, Berlin
© Werner Huthmacher